“Executive Coaching is a way of working with people that leaves them more competent and more fulfilled and so better able to contribute to their organisations and find meaning in what they do”
James Flaherty – ‘Coaching - Evoking Excellence in Others’
Coaching brings clarity, focus and confidence to deal with whatever issue is at hand. It offers an opportunity to reflect on what we do, why we do it, how others respond to us and who we are in relation to our work and other aspects of our lives. Good coaching is valuable because it brings the unconscious to consciousness, so clients can start making active decisions and taking responsibility.
Coaching helps people improve at what they already do well as well as addressing areas for improvement. A good coach offers unbiased, objective support to enable clients to identify their unique qualities and abilities and enhance them further.
WHAT IS COACHING?
Effective coaching is a provocative combination of challenge and support that allows the client to gain new perspectives. Using exceptional listening skills and powerful questions, the coach enables the client to gain fresh insights and so become more effective. The coaching conversation examines long held beliefs that may be getting in the way of the client really achieving what they want. Coaching creates an environment where the client can refocus and become more resourceful, happier and better able to contribute fully.
Coaching is deemed a relationship of equals. Chemistry plays a vital part in any relationship and acutely so in coaching. Alchemy Alliance coaches always meet clients before undertaking coaching to ensure the ‘right fit’.
HOW DOES IT WORK?
Coaching happens face-to-face, by phone or e-mail and sometimes a combination of all three. The duration of a typical face-to-face session is one and a half or two hours and the frequency varies depending on the outcome; often around once a month.
HOW MANY SESSIONS & HOW OFTEN?
Alchemy Alliance tailor-make the coaching relationship depending on the number and needs of the individuals and organisation involved.
- an annual contract, where the number of and frequency of sessions are to be agreed
- a 6-month contract, where the number and frequency of sessions are to be agreed
- 6 initial sessions with the option of periodic top-up sessions, once the initial contract is complete
WHERE DOES IT HAPPEN?
Coaching takes place either at the client’s place of work or at Alchemy Alliance. Some people like to get away from their usual working environment for coaching – others don’t. Alternative arrangements can be made if necessary.
HOW MUCH DOES IT COST?
Prices vary depending on what is required, here are some guidelines:
- Individual coaching sessions from £200 per session
- 6 monthly contracts from £1100
- Annual contracts from £2000
NB If you're interested in undertaking personal coaching, take a look at www.nottinghillcoach.co.uk or e-mail email@example.com.
The big picture:
- Timescale: typically between 6 & 12 months, duration of sessions usually one day, frequency of meetings to be agreed with group, about 6 days in all
- Numbers: between 5 – 8
- Mix of tried & trusted tools with other innovative new ones
- Outcome based – happier teams are more effective teams
- Extremely flexible
- Away from the work environment
- One-to-one support between sessions
- Team sets the agenda
- Coach to meet the Team Leader
- One-to-ones with all members of the team (maximum 8), all comments are non-attributable
- Coach to pull out themes & draft agenda
- Distribute agenda for comments & feedback
- Re-draft agenda as appropriate
- Set date & begin
Outcomes from team coaching:
- Increased energy & vitality of the team
- Valuing difference
- Faster recovery from negatives
- Increased innovation & ability to find solutions to knotty problems
- Improved teamwork and collaboration
- Skills growth & career development